This past weekend, I celebrated a birthday. That’s why this post was delayed—I wanted time to reflect on the past year and feel what I want to bring into the upcoming year. Plus, there was celebrating to be done!
It’s fun to stop and look in one’s rearview mirror, and I find birthdays the perfect time to do that. Day to day not much seems to happen or change; however, when one glances over one’s shoulder, a beautiful tapestry unfurls in our wake. Turns out that was especially true for my last year.
Here are some of my professional highlights from the past year:
- Became a two-time international bestselling co-author. The books are called My Camino Walk #2 and SHINE! Back in January, I’d stated that I wanted to be published in 2018. At that time, I didn’t know how I’d make it happen (and honestly thought it would be my memoir I’d publish first).
- Had a poem (don’t faint) published in Stanford University’s 166 Palms literary journal. Talk about stepping into the limelight and illuminating the pervasiveness of domestic abuse.
- Helped over a dozen entrepreneurs design their client-attractive blogs and create a blog post plan for their entire year.
- Increased my visibility by being a guest on several podcasts. It’s such a wonderful thing to have a great conversation with interesting and influential people.
- Designed my first online training course called Journey, which launches next week! I’m excited to serve my inspirational tribe by helping them uncover and integrate their stories into their marketing and beyond!
I stretched myself personally this year, too.
- Walked* two additional segments of the Camino (*seven out of eleven planned days anyway), steeping myself in the magical power of the path and ancient cities, towns, and cathedrals.
- Spent two weeks in London with friends, and walked over 80 miles in London, getting to know the city of my heart and deepening relationships that I value.
- Celebrated my youngest son’s high school graduation and launch to college (and am slowly adjusting to life as an empty nester).
- Dipped my toe back into the dating pool and had some really nice dates, none of whom ticked off all the things on my MANifesto. It was my way of letting the Universe know I’m ready to welcome the love of my life. I trust that when the time is right, we’ll recognize each other.
What I’m learning is that I can bring about anything I’m completely clear that I want. Now is the time to turn up the volume and do more of those things which bring me joy and fulfillment and make a positive impact on our world. It’s time to feel my way into another wonderful year.
My next turn around the sun
Last night, I had the privilege of hearing Eve Ensler and Anne Lamott speak at the gorgeous Strathmore Music Hall in Bethesda, MD. (Thank you to my fellow writer and dear friend Susie McShea for this amazing gift!) They were funny, raw, honest, and inspirational. What I took away from the evening were two things:
- Keep hope alive for it is in having hope that miracles arrive.
- I belong on a stage like that, sharing my experiences.
There. I’ve said it.
My friend and mentor, Frea O’Brien, told me last fall that my purpose in life is to be a global changemaker. She specifically mentioned speaking and publishing. I wasn’t ready emotionally for what I perceived as tremendous pressure to perform. (My nasty ego kept saying, “Who the hell would want to hear what you have to say?”) While I had a longterm goal to be a TEDTalk speaker, I still had internal work to do before I could share my story from a healed space.
So I sat with Frea’s words all year and focused on continued healing. Last night, as I listened to Eve and Anne, I could finally see myself on a stage, sharing my story, knowing that someone in the audience needed to know that they were going to be okay. I can do this.
This year, I’m committed to showing up in a bigger way, to take up more space, and to do it in my own quiet way. I’m ready to create a full-scale vision of how I want not only this year to be but my life for the next several years. And the beauty of where I am means that everything is in play!
Let me close this long blog post by expressing my deep gratitude for all the birthday wishes, flower, and gifts I had lavished upon me. It felt so yummy to bathe in all the love sent my way. It was a beautiful start to this next year of up-leveling! I’m full of joyful expectation for an amazing year and hope you’ll join me on the journey.